Sunday, May 30, 2010

Week 3- Post 5- Response to Alicia Kalb

I’m a firm believer in using pop culture in education. I know many teachers frown upon it, but I think that it helps to be able to relate to students. This week I found a correlation between the reading and the newest episode of Glee. This week’s Glee episode was entitled “Dream On” and it was all about making dreams come true. For those of you who don’t watch Glee, you really should check it out by the way, the show revolves around a teacher who brings back the Glee Club and tries to make it great again. He works with the kids who don’t fit in and tries to get them to realize their true potential. He is the kind of teacher who goes outside the box and is working for the kids. Of course there is the cheerleading coach who is everything education shouldn’t be, but is hysterically funny. This week’s episode really spoke to me. When you look at your students they all have a dream, something that they want to achieve and we as teachers need to help them succeed. Especially since there are so many people who try to bring them down. Without dreams, we’re lost. You can check out full episodes of Glee at Fox or Hulu.shapeimage_2_link_0shapeimage_2_link_1

Ali Baxendale
Alicia,
First of all, I also LOVE Glee! I feel a connection to the show because I grew up in choirs all throughout high school, and I am now a high school Spanish teacher (just like Will). I really like the point you make here. I saw the "Dream On" episode. I think it is very important for teachers to help support their students' dreams. I think it is also equally important to make sure students have the facts about their dreams. I have seen many students graduate from high school ready to pursue a degree or career in a very competitive field without realizing the competition. I do not think we should discourage our students' dreams; I just think we should make sure our students pursue those dreams while being educated about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment